Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Ten Reasons to Visit the Darien Antiques Show
The Best Winter Weekend Activity Around
Preview Party – March 4. Show – March 4 – 5.
You don’t have to be an antiques collector to enjoy The Darien Antiques Show. There’s a reason for everyone within driving distance of Darien, CT, to visit the show:
1. See the halls, rooms and nursery school of the First Congregational Church of Darien magically transformed into a collection of booths filled with gorgeous antique furniture; antique and estate jewelry; fine art; accessories like Inuit carvings, colorful pots, ceramics or Chinese porcelain; sailors’ woolies; fireplace accessories; antique silver; and mid-century art, furniture and accessories – which can complement any décor and fit any budget.
2. Support the church’s outreach efforts. St. Luke’s LifeWorks is the primary beneficiary of the Preview Party. It is a not-for-profit organization that plays a critical role in providing learning opportunities, housing and support services to people overcoming homelessness right here in Fairfield County. Additional proceeds from the party and the show benefit other organizations selected by the Board of Outreach including: A Better Chance in Darien, Person-to-Person, Aging In Place in Darien, Norwalk Emergency Shelter, Carver Center and more.
3. Support the entrepreneurial efforts of the 37 antiques dealers at the show. They come from all over the Northeast. These are top dealers who guarantee all their merchandise. Some have been in the business all their lives, some are new. All have lovely items.
4. At the Preview Party, do some in-person social networking, see old friends, enjoy fine wine, good music, yummy hors d’oeuvres, while browsing through the beautiful booths. Bid on great items at the Preview Party Silent Auction and Live Auction.
5. Get a family heirloom appraised, road-show-style, by Christine Downing from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday.
6. Look, ask questions and learn. Our dealers are very friendly and are eager to share their knowledge.
7. Meet our new dealers who are bringing fine art that reflects our region and other one-of-a-kind items that can lift your home décor to a new level.
8. Connect with the past by browsing and buying. Items like the ones on sale at our show aren’t made anymore.
9. Enjoy a home-cooked lunch or afternoon treat at the Café.
10. Uphold a tradition from the 275-year-old church First Congregational Church of Darien. This is the show’s 44th year.
Sponsored by the First Congregational Church of Darien - 14 Brookside Rd., Darien, CT.
Just south of Exit 13 from I-95.
The fun and festive preview party on March 4th – 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm, $45 advance sale, $50 at door, patrons: ($55 New Collector, $75 Collector, $100+ Connoisseur).
Saturday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sunday: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Admission: $10, $8 for seniors.
Further information, discount cards and photos are at www.DarienAntiqueShow.org. And visit the Darien Antiques Show on Facebook – become a fan and help spread the word! www.facebook.com/TheDarienAntiquesShow.
Show Sponsors: William Pitt – Sotheby’s is a platinum sponsor of the show, People’s United Bank is a gold sponsor and Moffly Media is the media sponsor.