The Best Winter Weekend Activity Around
Preview Party – March 4. Show – March 4 – 5.
You don’t have to be an antiques collector to enjoy The Darien Antiques Show. There’s a reason for everyone within driving distance of Darien, CT, to visit the show:
1. See the halls, rooms and nursery school of the First Congregational Church of Darien magically transformed into a collection of booths filled with gorgeous antique furniture; antique and estate jewelry; fine art; accessories like Inuit carvings, colorful pots, ceramics or Chinese porcelain; sailors’ woolies; fireplace accessories; antique silver; and mid-century art, furniture and accessories – which can complement any décor and fit any budget.
2. Support the church’s outreach efforts. St. Luke’s LifeWorks is the primary beneficiary of the Preview Party. It is a not-for-profit organization that plays a critical role in providing learning opportunities, housing and support services to people overcoming homelessness right here in Fairfield County. Additional proceeds from the party and the show benefit other organizations selected by the Board of Outreach including: A Better Chance in Darien, Person-to-Person, Aging In Place in Darien, Norwalk Emergency Shelter, Carver Center and more.
3. Support the entrepreneurial efforts of the 37 antiques dealers at the show. They come from all over the Northeast. These are top dealers who guarantee all their merchandise. Some have been in the business all their lives, some are new. All have lovely items.
4. At the Preview Party, do some in-person social networking, see old friends, enjoy fine wine, good music, yummy hors d’oeuvres, while browsing through the beautiful booths. Bid on great items at the Preview Party Silent Auction and Live Auction.
5. Get a family heirloom appraised, road-show-style, by Christine Downing from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday.
6. Look, ask questions and learn. Our dealers are very friendly and are eager to share their knowledge.
7. Meet our new dealers who are bringing fine art that reflects our region and other one-of-a-kind items that can lift your home décor to a new level.
8. Connect with the past by browsing and buying. Items like the ones on sale at our show aren’t made anymore.
9. Enjoy a home-cooked lunch or afternoon treat at the Café.
10. Uphold a tradition from the 275-year-old church First Congregational Church of Darien. This is the show’s 44th year.
Sponsored by the First Congregational Church of Darien - 14 Brookside Rd., Darien, CT.
Just south of Exit 13 from I-95.
The fun and festive preview party on March 4th – 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm, $45 advance sale, $50 at door, patrons: ($55 New Collector, $75 Collector, $100+ Connoisseur).
Saturday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sunday: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Admission: $10, $8 for seniors.
Further information, discount cards and photos are at www.DarienAntiqueShow.org. And visit the Darien Antiques Show on Facebook – become a fan and help spread the word! www.facebook.com/TheDarienAntiquesShow.
Show Sponsors: William Pitt – Sotheby’s is a platinum sponsor of the show, People’s United Bank is a gold sponsor and Moffly Media is the media sponsor.
Here is the latest on Activities for Seniors in Darien, Connecticut
from Aging In Place in Darien:
Aging In Place in Darien is the one place to call for information and referral to senior programs and services!
Over 1,000 calls from Darien residents to date!
“Faces” at Lifetime Learners Open House
Friday, February 11th at 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Norwalk Community College East Campus, PepsiCo Theater, 188 Richards Avenue. Area artist and photographer David Pressler provides a unique view of our world through “Faces”, a video slide show of nature’s geological forms, animals, trees, flowers, man-made objects and people. Free and open to all. Bring your lunch or buy it there. For more information, call Lifetime Learners at 203-857-3330 or go to www.lifetimelearners.org.
Be Prepared for an Emergency
Wednesday, February 16th from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Darien Senior Center, 30 Edgerton Street. Learn about Code Red and Nixle (Darien’s two alert systems), how to put together a “Go Kit” and “Stay Kit”, and meet members of Darien’s emergency management team. All are welcome. Door prizes! For more information, call Beth Paris at 203-656-7455 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Navigating Your Hospital Stay: What You Should Know
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Darien Senior Center, 30 Edgerton Street. How does your hospital rate? Did you know that staying overnight may not always count as a hospital stay and you may not be covered? Did you know you have a right to ask for a different roommate? What is a hospitalist and how do they communicate with your personal physician? Get the questions and answers you need to ensure a safe and successful hospital stay. Presented by area expert Sue Worland, RN of Visiting Nurse & Hospice of Fairfield County. To register, call Beth Paris at 203-656-7455 or e-mail email@example.com.
Honeybee: Lessons from an Accidental Beekeeper
Tuesday, February 22nd from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the Darien Community Association, 274 Middlesex Road. Ten years ago, Marina Marchese fell in love with bees during a tour of a neighbor's honeybee hives. She quit her job, acquired her own bees and eventually opened her own business. Today, Red Bee Honey sells artisanal honey and honey-related products to shops and restaurants all over the country. Honeybee is a warm and inspiring story of one woman's intimate experience with honeybees. Free and open to the public. For more information, call the DCA at 203-655-9050 or go to www.dariendca.org.
Seniors Who Surf
Every Friday from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Darien Library, 3rd Floor Conference Room, 1441 Post Road. Bring your laptop computer and have fun with others while you surf, email and get the answers to all your questions. For more information, contact Judy Sgammato, Technology Manager, Darien Library, at 203-669-5256 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Know Anyone Who Needs Home Heating Assistance?
Encourage them to call Darien Social Services at 203-656-7328 to find out if they qualify.
Need a Ride?
Take the Gallivant. Call 203-655-2227 to make a reservation. 24-hour advance notice and a voluntary contribution are appreciated. Or purchase Half-Price Taxi Vouchers from Darien Social Services. Call 203-656-7328 for more information.
Please feel free to forward this bulletin to friends and family who might be interested!
Do you want to unsubscribe to this bulletin? Write to AIPcoordinator@
Alyssa Israel, MPH, CHES
Aging In Place Coordinator
P.O. Box 926, 701 Post Road
Darien, CT 06820
Tel: 203-202-2912 Fax: 203-655-9416